badge icon
Jake Y.
Minneapolis, MN
orange star icon
gray star icon
orange star icon
gray star icon
orange star icon
gray star icon
orange star icon
gray star icon
orange star icon
gray star icon
4.0
5 Years of experience

I often describe what I do as a photographer as 90% building a connection with my subjects, and the other 10% pressing the shutter. I like to spend the first 10-15 minutes of any session in relaxed conversation getting to know my clients and their state of mind, as well as any interesting ongoing events in their lives, and this informs what I will end up highlighting in the final set of images. I find that forming that initial level of trust is imperative to drawing out their most authentic selves in beautiful candids as well as some more directed shots. Whatever your comfort level is (camera shy or a full-time model), I can assure you will come away with images you can be proud of that will last a lifetime.


With a bachelor's degree in Studio Art concentrated in photography, I approach all of my shoots with a fine art perspective. Complete control and mastery of lighting techniques and a refined understanding of what it takes to get the best physical prints and digital files out of your photoshoot are included by default. I do have a fashion/editorial focus as well as photojournalistic tendencies, so you can be sure to end up with a polished, portfolio ready final product.

Awards, honors and recognition

Currently working with David Sherman for the Timberwolves organization. Studied photography abroad in Florence, Italy under Stefania Talini & Francesco Guazzelli. Mentored by established Walla Walla photographers Annelise & Nick Page. Advised by PNW fine arts legend Charly Bloomquist. Work has been featured in print installation as a finalist in the 2017 Tiny Atlas Climate Change Benefit Show in San Francisco, CA as well as in gallery exhibitions at Syracuse University and Whitman College. Winner of the youth prize for the 2019 Marcello Guasti: Tre Caribinieri photo contest in Fiesole, IT. Featured in instagram contests #theprintswap and #milleniumimages.

A fun fact about me

I also work for the Timberwolves/Lynx! I shoot vivid, timeless medium-format film photos upon request. I have a 1 year old golden retriever named Luna 🐾

Read more
Equipment & Languages

Languages Spoken:

English

Camera:

Sony a7r iii, Pentax 6x7

Lenses:

Sony 70-200mm f4 G, 20mm f1.8 G, 85mm f1.8, Voigtländer Nokton 40mm f1.2, SMC Takumar 105mm f2.4 + 55mm f4

I am good with…

Capturing Emotions

Capturing Atmosphere

Suggesting Poses

Breaking the Ice

Story Telling

Candid Moments

My Portfolio Select a shoot type to preview more photos.

Family

10 photos

Engagement

10 photos

Senior

10 photos

Fashion

10 photos

Modeling

10 photos

Couples

10 photos

Elopement

10 photos

Wedding

12 photos

Reviews

orange star icon
gray star icon
orange star icon
gray star icon
orange star icon
gray star icon
orange star icon
gray star icon
orange star icon
gray star icon
4.0

No reviews for Jake Y. have been written yet.
Have a question? Click here to talk with Jake Y.!

How it Works

  1. Book.

    Quickly find a top-rated photographer near you. Then book the right one for your special moment with a few simple clicks.

  2. Shoot.

    Relax and enjoy the moment as an experienced photographer captures it. They’ll take care of all the details.

  3. Enjoy!

    Within 2 business days of your photoshoot, you'll be able to view, download and share. Enjoy it all again and again.